Skip to main content

Po Chung Ma Cha, Bloomsbury

Hi there! It's been 2 days since my last post. So today, i would like to review my top best choice for Korean food in London, Po Chung Ma Cha (Thanks to Andrew, who recommended me this awesome place!). I guess the word itself comes from Korean, Pojangmacha, which means small tented restaurant on wheels or street stalls that sell street food (thanks Google!). 

I have been to this place couple of times, but as you might know, I don't really go to the same restaurant many times, unless it is close to my place or delicious as hell. So, couple of days ago, i went to this place with one of my friend after she spent a lot of time helping me with my biology coursework (Thanks Annie! I hope you read this).

Here is the place:

 






As you can see, the place is not really big (like most restaurants in London). The bar and some of the decoration, like the lamps will make you feel as you were in Korea (or Japan?). The songs played in the restaurant are all Korean, so if you guys are K-POP lovers, you will love this place. For those who like to sing, just to let you know they also have karaoke facility downstairs.

So now, let's talk about what you guys have been waiting for.........  THE FOOD !
Kimchi Pancake (£7.00)

Kimchi Fried Rice (£7.50)

Seafood Big Pot Stew (£22.00)

Big Pot Stew Ready to Eat 
My favourite Korean food is kimchi pancake and i think Po Chang Ma Cha has the best, super crunchy, delicious, mouth salivating kimchi pancake. Well, the plating might not be too interesting, but trust me, every person in the world should definitely try this dish (and i succeed to make Annie likes it).

My second favourite Korean food is kimchi fried rice. Nothing so special basically, it only consists of (as you can guess) fried rice and kimchi, but plus ham and an egg. I can name other restaurants that actually sell better kimchi fried rice than Po Chung Ma Cha (that's why you guys should keep reading my blog;)), but since i love rice and kimchi, i always order this dish as my replacement for steam rice.

One thing that definitely should be ordered every time you come to this restaurant is the big pot stew. The restaurant itself is pretty popular for this dish. The portion is quite big and can be served for 2-3 people. It is a bit spicy and contained Korean noodle and meat or seafood (depends on what you choose). 

Overall, i give 3/5 for the restaurant. I would definitely give 5/5 for the food only because i do think it serves one of the best Korean food in London (so far). Almost forgot to mention that you can only pay by cash in this restaurant, so don't forget to bring a lot of money and eat well! Oh yeah, and another thing i do love about this place is that it opens until very late at night, which is so freakingly hard to find in London (unless you don't mind eating at bars or McDonalds).


Address : 56 St. Giles High Street, London WC2H 8LH
Nearest tube : Tottenham Court Road 
Opening hours : 12.00 - 3.00 (they usually close at 15.00 for break)
Tel : 020 7379 7381 
Price : £


Comments

  1. Anonymous7/15/2014

    Food was ok, but was let down when I paid £17.50 in cash (including the service charge) which happened to include 3 x 1p and a 2p and they said that they do not accept 1p and 2p. How sad is that?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment